Historical Background: Nationalist movements led to the creation of several new nations across Europe during the mid-1800s.
TASK: Answer the following questions on a separate piece of paper. Attach this sheet to your responses. COUNTS AS A QUIZ GRADE. Due Monday 11/15.
- What is nationalism? http://www.beyondbooks.com/eur12/2.asp
- What are the possible results of nationalism? http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/global/themes/nationalism/index.cfm
- How can nationalism be a unifying force on a group of people? http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/global/themes/nationalism/index.cfm
- How did nationalism lead to the creation of nation-states in BOTH Italy and Germany? (Briefly describe) http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/global/themes/nationalism/unification.cfm
- Identify the following individuals and identify what each individual’s role was in the unification process of Italy: http://www.beyondbooks.com/eur12/2a.asp
- Giuseppe Mazzini
- Camillo Cavou
- Giuseppe Garibaldi
- Who is Otto Von Bismarck? http://www.zum.de/whkmla/region/germany/bismarck.html
7. What was his role in German Unification? http://www.zum.de/whkmla/region/germany/bismarck.html
- What is Otto Von Bismarck’s policy of “Blood and Iron”? http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/global/themes/nationalism/unification.cfm
- What is a Kaiser? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiser
- Who is the first Kaiser of the unified Germany? http://www.beyondbooks.com/eur12/2b.asp