Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Mrs. Gandt~ I-Search Research Paper



The I-Search Paper
Notes based on The I Search Paper (1988) by Ken Macrorie
MLA info: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl

The I-Search Paper directly involves you, the writer, into both process (searching for info) and product (the writing about that search).  It challenges the concept that research is the searching again for information already documented.  If you have never searched for information on the topic before, there is little re about it.  You will connect to the topic in a unique way that cannot be ignored.

The paper will have five written components:
1.                  My Question   (and why I decided to research this question)  “I” format
2.                  My Search Process   (the story of the hunt)  “I” format
3.                  What Has Been Learned (connect findings to the original question) NOT “I” format
4.                  What This Means To Me (how has researching this question changed you)  “I” format
5.                  Works Cited Page (all references in alphabetical order using MLA)
6.                  Oral Presentation ( speech, skit, poster, video, or some other exhibition of knowledge to be presented to the class)  January 2013

For more information on your assignment go to the class handout section of this blog (left hand side).


Also, See your librarian, Mrs. Hatcher for further assistance with the VRC online databases and with citing your sources (Noodletools, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment